Wednesday 23 April 2014

What's Up Wednesday! | 23/04/14

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly blog hop created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk as a way for writers and readers to stay in touch!

What I'm Reading

Over the past week I've read Neil Gaiman's Stardust, finished making my way through a collection of John Donne's poetry and sort of finished Essie Fox's The Goddess and the Thief. I say 'sort of' because I got about half way through it and realised that I was bored, and the story took a turn that annoyed me a little, so I basically skim read the rest. Perhaps I'll have to go back to it at a later date, because everyone else on Goodreads seems to have given it 4 or 5 stars - I must be missing something!

I'm still reading Maria V. Snyder's Scent of Magic. I'm taking my time with it so that, when I do finish it, I can hopefully go out and find myself a copy of the third and final book in the trilogy. I found the last book in Cardiff when I went there the other week, but it wasn't the same size as the other books and I couldn't have a book that wouldn't match its predecessors! I also just started Feed by Mira Grant, the first book in the Newsflesh trilogy, and I'm really enjoying it so far - it's been a while since I read something involving zombies!

This week is also the final week of the Hogwarts House Reading Challenge! This week the challenge is to read a book with a raven-haired protagonist. Initially I was going to carry on with the Study series and read Maria V. Snyder's Magic Study, but after watching Catching Fire at the weekend I'm really in the mood to reread Mockingjay. I haven't read it at all since the very first time I read it and, if I'm completely honest, I can't remember a lot of the details. I can remember the big events but I just can't really remember reading the book all that much, so I'll be starting it today or tomorrow!

What I'm Writing

This week I'm back to novel writing. I'm hoping to work on one of the novel's first flashbacks, in which my protagonist tries to cope with PTSD and meets her husband.

What Inspires Me Right Now

Honestly right now I feel a little more overwhelmed than inspired. It's just been one of those weeks where my stress levels have been high and my head feels like it's full of heavy fluff.

Having said that, my lovely best friend Laura is pretty inspirational. She's in her final year of uni so she has a lot of work to do, which she manages to keep on top of while also maintaining a part time job and voluntary work. She's also always there for me when I need a good rant.

What Else I've Been Up To

It was Easter at the weekend - Happy Easter! - so I spent my weekend eating chocolate and watching Catching Fire with my Dad. Turns out he's something of a Hunger Games fan!

On Easter Monday my poor Mum had to work, but my Dad had the day off so the two of us went to Abergavenny for the day, purely because neither of us had been there before. What's left of Abergavenny Castle is there, as well as a little museum, and all of the entry's free. It was a lovely day, so we had lunch (and an ice cream) and my Dad was nice enough to treat me to a couple of books when we discovered Waterstones were doing a "Buy One Get One Half Price" deal. 

I picked up copies of Feed by Mira Grant and Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - I've been after a copy of Burial Rites since December!

Other than that I've been looking into some freelance work, signing up for the 10th Bout of Books read-a-thon, and getting ready to go back to university this weekend - my Easter holiday seems to have flown by!

What's new with you?

8 comments:

  1. I recently reread the whole Hunger Games trilogy because I realised I'd forgotten so much of what happened in Mockingjay! So excited for the next film. I tried to get my parents into the first one, but they both fell asleep, which is what usually happens when we watch films as a family. :P

    Sounds like you've had a fun Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can't wait to see Mockingjay. :) Francis Lawrence did a great job with Catching Fire, so I'm confident he'll do Mockingjay justice too.

      Delete
  2. How funny, I picked up Feed from Waterstones this weekend, too! :D

    Have a fantastic week. Hope the writing goes well ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You'll have to let me know what you think of it! :) I've only just started it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  3. Somewhat recently I reread MOCKINGJAY after not reading it since the first time. I remember not loving it the first time around, but appreciated it a lot more after rereading it. I think maybe I understood a little more why Suzanne Collins made the decisions she did. As for feeling like you need to reread something because you might be missing out on why everyone else loved it--I often feel the same way. I think sometimes books fall victim to what we're in the mood for right now, too high expectations, and any number of other things that affect whether we enjoy it or not. I have a pile of books that I have a sneaking suspicion fall into that camp.

    Yay for great, inspiring friends! I think everyone needs one or two of those. Have a great week, Jess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read my copy of STARDUST for some silly reason. Back when I saw the movie, I didn't even know who Neil Gaiman was, so I unwittingly broke the book before movie rule that we have in our house. Must get around to that sometime!

    When you mentioned Abergavenny, it took me a second to remember why the name was familiar to me, and then I realized it's because Harry goes there on the Knight Bus. I'm guessing you took a different mode of transportation though. ;)

    Sorry to hear you've had a stressful week. I hope next week is better and that your writing projects go well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh about the stressful week, I've had a few of them this year. I hope next week is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear things are overwhelming. Hope they level out soon!

    ReplyDelete