Friday 10 January 2014

January Reads!

It's the 10th of January already! How did that happen?

I've already written a post about the books I'm most looking forward to reading which are being released in 2014, and now I'm going to share with you the books I'm hoping to read in January! If I manage to read the books I mention here (I tend to just read whatever I feel like at the time) then I might just turn this into a monthly feature.

There are four books I'd really like to complete this month. That might not seem like much to most people but, like I said, if I gave myself a huge list I wouldn't end up reading them anyway because I'd end up reading something else! 

Of the four books I want to read, one of them I have read before and three of them I've already started - let's just hope I can finish them!


by Kristen Britain


by Neil Gaiman


I bought Kristen Britain's Green Rider and Neil Gaiman's American Gods quite a long time ago - longer than I'd care to admit - and recently I finally got around to starting them. According to Goodreads I'm already a quarter of the way through Green Rider and so far I'm enjoying it!

I was in a bit of a reading slump before I picked it up, and I think what I really needed was a good old fashioned fantasy novel. Green Rider is the first in a series, and if I enjoy the rest of the book as much as I've enjoyed the first quarter I'll definitely be carrying on with it! Not to mention these books have gorgeous covers.

I've only read just over 100 pages of American Gods but so far I've loved what I've read. A lot of people have claimed this book is Gaiman's masterpiece, and even though the story's still just getting started I already have this feeling that by the time I've finished it it's going to have earned a place on my list of favourites.


by Tracy Borman

Tracy Borman's Witches: A Tale of Sorcery, Scandal and Seduction is the third book I've already started. And by started I mean I've only read the first 17 pages. Unlike the other books on this list, Witches is a non-fiction history book which deals with the story of a woman and her two daughters who, I believe, were accused of murdering children using witchcraft during the 1600s.

As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm currently working on a historical/paranormal novel centered around the theme of witchcraft, so I'm reading up on the subject as much as I can in my spare time with both fiction and non-fiction. I wasn't even aware of this book until one of my friends bought it for me for my birthday - it's gorgeous in hardback!


by J. K. Rowling

The final book on this list I have definitely read before. The Harry Potter series is a favourite of readers all over the world, it's certainly one of mine, but it's been so long since I re-read the series. I'd like to make 2014 the year I re-live the story from Harry's first year through to his final battle with Voldemort.

So this month I want to re-read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first book in the series. I can't wait to go back to Hogwarts! It's been a while...

There we have it: the four books I'd like to read in January. It could be that something else catches my eye and I end up discarding this entire list, but given that I've already started some of them I think I should be able to stick to my list this month!

What are you reading in January?

No comments:

Post a Comment