Tuesday 28 November 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | My Winter TBR


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books On My Winter TBR' - hooray for themed TBRs which, if you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know I love! 

I love reading books set in cold landscapes during the winter, such as Hannah Kent's Burial Rites and Stef Penney's The Tenderness of Wolves, but I also love trying to tackle high fantasy and fat, epic novels that I can totally escape to in the winter, when the nights are dark and the candles are lit.


The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin: I'm half way through The Obelisk Gate at the moment but my reading year's been so poor I've accidentally left it despite having pre-ordered, and now also owning, a copy of The Stone Sky. I'd love to get this trilogy finished because I really enjoyed The Fifth Season and I want to know where this story's going!

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb: Frankly it's criminal that I haven't read any Robin Hobb and I've owned my copy of Assassin's Apprentice for a while now, so it's about time I got to it. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) enjoying a long series in which I can follow one character from childhood through to adulthood.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: My lovely friend Natalie @ A Sea Change really enjoyed this book and it sounds like a lot of fun - I'm all for a heist story, and I liked Bardugo's story in Summer Days and Summer Nights so I'm interested in reading one of her novels.

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence: I tried reading this one earlier this year and, sadly, couldn't get into it, but I want to give it another chance. I've heard such wonderful things about Lawrence as a fantasy writer and I'm always drawn to stories set in nunneries so I'm hoping to, if not love, then at least like this one the second time around.


Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke: Natalie @ A Sea Change also loves this one and I still haven't read it because it's such a beast, but I think it'd be the ideal book to curl up with over winter and experience.

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu: I don't know why I didn't realise it sooner, but over the past year or so I've really begun to notice just how European the high fantasy I'm familiar with is. I'd like to discover more Asian and African-inspired fantasy realms and this series sounds very intriguing - I've heard very good things thus far!

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison: This is one of my favourite books of all time and I haven't reread it yet this year, so I think it'll be fun to curl up with it over Christmas. I love Maia so much.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon: I've been meaning to start this series for a few years now, but there are almost ten books in the series now and each one is huge. So many people I know love this series, however, and I'd really like to watch the TV adaptation - I just want to read the book(s) first!

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis: Another chunky book and one that I think at least begins around Christmas time, so it's a fitting read for the winter. This is about a history student who time travels back to the Middle Ages during the outbreak of the Black Death, only to get stuck there. I've heard it's amazing so I'm looking forward to picking it up (hopefully) soon!

Which books made your list this week?

26 comments:

  1. I like reading about cold landscapes in the winter too, must be a seasonal thing. Hope you like the Assassins Apprentice books, I LOVED those. Although Robin Hobb is hard on her characters, I always say. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard they're pretty heart-breaking! Thanks for stopping by. =)

      Delete
  2. Yay for Outlander! Yes, the books are super-huge and for me they take forever to read, but I think they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! I'll have to give them a try soon. =)

      Delete
  3. I`m currently reading The Grisha trilogy and I love it. As soon as I am done with that, I`ll pick up Six of Crows. Everyone says it`s Leigh Bardugo`s best novel, so I have high hopes for it.

    Carmen / Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I'm not really that interested in the Grisha trilogy, but so many people have recommended Six of Crows to me that I'm looking forward to picking it up. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Six of Crows. I hope you enjoy these books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will love Robin Hobb! I promise :)

    Great titles! :)

    Happy winter reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I don't read much fantasy but I loved Assassin's Apprentice and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The Outlander series is one of my favourites - I hope you enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I think I want to start Outlander, something stops me. I picked up a digital copy years ago for free... but I have two friends - one loved it, the other hated it, so I never know if I should actually read it or not. Haha.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I've heard quite a few mixed things too but I figured the only way I'm going to know if I like it or not is if I try it! Thanks for stopping by. =)

      Delete
  8. I hope you get a chance to read all these! I’ve heard a lot of good things about Six of Crows.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think Six of Crows might be one of the first ones I pick up, I do love a heist story.

      Delete
  9. Six of Crows is awesome! I hope you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SoC was so good. I recently finished the duology, and it was a just ending. I was a little sad, but happy with it. Hope you enjoy SoC too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to reading it!

      Delete
  11. I've heard great things about Red Sister, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Six of Crows has been on my shelf for WAAAY too long. One of these days I'm going to pick it up without excuses and get lost in its world. It sounds like such a fun one! :)

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Jess - and happy winter TBR-ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem with Six of Crows, I just need to pick it up!

      Delete
  13. I just started the fifth season, and like it but it's so heavy I need to just come back to it at a later date. haha maybe you will finally get to Outlander!

    ReplyDelete