Sunday 1 November 2015

Sci-Fi Month | Introduction



Sci-Fi Month is hosted by Rinn @ Rinn Reads, and this year I'm participating!

Sci-Fi Month is upon us! I can't believe it's been an entire year since the last Sci-Fi Month, and today I'm going to be answering Rinn's introductory questions.


The Questions

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I'm Jess, I'm 24 and I'm from the UK. I'm an avid reader and writer, and an English graduate. For the past year I've been working as a Marketing Assistant at Seren Books. Sadly this month is my last month at Seren as my contract is coming to an end, so I'm currently looking for another job! If only someone would pay me to blog...

2. How long have you been a fan of science fiction?

If someone had asked me this a few years ago I would have said I wasn't really a fan, but the truth is I've been a fan of sci-fi my whole life without realising it. Sci-fi is so broad, and encompasses so much, that I've always been around it; I've loved the Terminator franchise since I was very young and I wrote my dissertation on dystopian heroines, so my love for sci-fi has always been there even if it isn't my favourite genre.

3. Why do you like sci-fi and what is your favourite thing about it?

That's a difficult question to answer. Like I said there are so many different sub-genres of sci-fi and I like them all for different reasons. I guess I love its possibilities; there's hopeful sci-fi with hover-boards and bleak sci-fi with apocalyptic landscapes. I love how we can tell how a society is feeling by how it writes its sci-fi - the '80s gave us Back to the Future, and nowadays we have The Hunger Games. Something's gone wrong there!

Plus, as a big history and historical fiction fan, sci-fi offers time travel, which I am all for. Although sadly I'm not a Doctor Who fan.

4. Favourite books/games/films/TV shows in the genre?

Books: Feed by Mira Grant; Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins; 1984 by George Orwell; The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer; Blood Red Road by Moira Young; Delirium by Lauren Oliver; Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.

Films: Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Total Recall (1990); Warm Bodies; Treasure Planet; Jurassic Park; The Amazing Spider-Man; Paul; Alien; The Island.

TV shows: Orphan Black; Firefly.

5. What are your plans for Sci-Fi Month?

Just to read a bit of sci-fi, really! Hopefully I'll get some reviews up during the month, but I'm not planning anything particularly huge because I need to find a new job so real life is going to kick me in the arse, I think.

What are your plans for Sci-Fi Month?

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm glad SciFi Month too, I've been looking forward to it since it was announced. Hope you have great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish someone would pay me to blog too ;) Wouldn't that be lovely?

    Your dissertation topic sounds like an AMAZING choice!

    Good luck with finding a new job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the dream. :P

      I did enjoy it, but man was it stressful! And thanks - the job market sucks right now, but hopefully I'll find something!

      Delete