Monday 2 June 2014

Reading Wrap-Up | May 2014

I only got through two books this month because I ended up becoming obsessed with a new trilogy that I'm currently in the middle of finishing, but I enjoyed both of the books I read!



by Rainbow Rowell

My Rating: 

"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?

In May I read my very first Rainbow Rowell book and it was very cute! I've been interested in Attachments for a while now because when it comes to contemporary I tend to read more adult contemporary than YA contemporary, not entirely sure why, though.

Now that I've read this I'm even more eager to read Fangirl and Eleanor & Park to see what Rowell's YA is like. If you're interested in more of my thoughts on Attachments there'll be a review up on Friday!



by Mira Grant

My Rating: 

The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will get out, even if it kills them.

And here we have my new obsession. I bought Feed over Easter - it's one of those books I've been seeing in Waterstones for years and kept meaning to pick up - and as soon as I started reading it I loved it. This book is so funny and thought-provoking and sad. I bauled my eyes out when I read the end of this book, in fact I haven't cried that much at the end of a book since I read The Book Thief.

It's the first zombie book I've read and I loved it because the focus isn't really on the zombies, it's more about journalism, politics and the truth, and it's safe to say Georgia Mason is now of my new favourite heroines. I adore her.

I definitely recommend this trilogy (I'm over half-way through Deadline right now and it's just as brilliant) but don't look up either of the second books if you haven't read the first - some versions of them have spoilers in their blurbs!

Those are the two books I read in May, and I'm really not at all bothered I only managed two; I've discovered a fantastic new series, and now I really want to check out Mira Grant's Parasitology books, too.

What did you read in May?

No comments:

Post a Comment