Friday 29 November 2013

End of Hiatius + About Me!

I think it's about time I shook off this hiatus and got back into blogging, don't you? I was planning on posting a review of Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown for my first post back, but I thought it might be nicer to write something a little more personal first instead, because other than my profile you guys don't know that much about me at all and I figured that should change if I expect you to read what I have to say.

First and foremost: my name's Jess, I'm 22, I'm from England and in July I graduated with a degree in English Literature with Creative Writing. I'm currently working towards an MA in Creative Writing, which I'm using to write my very first novel and teach myself discipline when it comes to writing because I severely lack self-discipline when it comes to my creative projects. I think of an idea, obsess over it for a while, plan it, start writing it, and then another idea pops into my head and I start working on that one instead. Luckily for me the MA's really helping me so far, I get ideas for other projects but now I just jot them down and get back to my current novel. 

I've written a little poetry in my time and plenty of short fiction, but I've always wanted to be a novelist. It's one of my dreams to be a published author, but I'm not aiming to make a career out of it - that's a pretty difficult thing to do! I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life - I want to do a whole range of things! - but I'm currently very interested in going into either publishing or librarianship. Pretty much anything that keeps me around stories, I guess!

I actually have some publishing work experience lined up for next year so that's pretty exciting, and I'm also applying for a few placements as and when they pop up. I imagine I'll write a post or two here about my work experience when it comes around.

As well as literature I'm a huge lover of film and history (in fact the novel I'm working on right now is a piece of historical fiction!) and I spend more time than I probably should going to the cinema and wandering around museums.

Now that my hiatus is over I'm aiming to review even more books, share some of my personal recommendations and even talk about my writing journey over the course of my MA and beyond!

Speak to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment