Tuesday 11 September 2012

Suicide Awareness Day

So I know this is a little late, but I felt that this needed to be said.
    As I'm sure many of you know, September 10th is Suicide Awareness Day. Suicide is one subject that always manages to make me incredibly sad. I'm very lucky and blessed in that I have never lost anyone to suicide, but I have friends who have considered it in the past when they were going through a very bleak period of their life.
    No matter how you might be feeling suicide is not the answer. Whatever it is you're struggling with, there is always another solution.
    Before I say anything else I would like to say that you can find me on tumblr under the same username and that, any time of the year, my inbox will be open for you whether you want to talk anonymously or not. I'm here to listen, and I won't judge you. Just know that you are never alone, and there are hundreds of other people online who would be more than willing to talk to you and reach out a helpful hand.
    It's cheesy but it's true.
    Now onto what I really want to talk about. I've heard a few people point out that there shouldn't just be one day of the year in which we're aware of suicide, and those people are absolutely right. People need help all year round.
   I don't want this to end up sounding like me preaching to the rest of the world, I'm just asking everyone to be more aware of their fellow man. If you have a friend or family member or anyone that you know who you think is in need of help, or outright asks for it, please be sure to provide it in any way that you can. People who genuinely feel that the only way to solve their problems is to take their life don't choose to feel like that.
    They're not attention seekers, they're just desperate for somebody to offer a friendly hand and listen. 
   My thoughts are with everyone who has lost someone to suicide, and anyone considering it.
    J.

No comments:

Post a Comment